Thursday, January 5, 2012

100 stitches - eyelet hole stitch Updated!

Here are my newest eyelet hole stitches! I think they are a vast improvement over my first attempts! :)  Thank you all for your encouraging and very helpful comments on my last post.  Angela sent me an article that clearly explained how to do this stitch - with pictures of what the finished product should look like - thank you Angela! I still need to practice (these are still a bit lumpy and uneven) but at least now I know the correct technique:


There were two major things I was doing wrong.   Number one, I was using the wrong sized needle.  I was using my #24 chenille needle.  The best needle for this stitch is apparently a #10 sharps needle.  I couldn't find a #10 sharps but I had a #9 sharps in my supplies.  Just look at the size difference between the #24 on the left and the #9 sharps on the right. 


The sharps is so thin and flexible and a bit shorter in length.   Look how tiny the eye is!


Number two, I shouldn't have drawn two circles - you don't need to draw an inner circle to follow.  You only want the outside circle.  Just stitch the running stitch along this circle using only one strand of floss, and then after piercing the center of the hole with an awl or making a small x, take very small overcast stitches all around the circle.  These overcast stitches need to come out consistantly ;) right next to the outer edge of the circle.  The rest of the steps are all correct in my original post. 


So I am continuing to practice! I am sort of wondering why the different sized needle would make such a difference? Maybe because it is easier to take smaller closer stitches?

7 comments:

Angela Lee said...

Much better! I think you've got it now!

These would make cute bubbles in your sea horse packet.

Kim said...

Thanks Angela! I thought the same thing about the bubbles - they would look perfect in blue!

Denise :) said...

Great job! Thanks for sharing the tips! :)

Martha said...

It is amazing what a difference the right needle can make. I also have better luck by going down on the outside and coming out of the center. You will always have one action that gives you more control. Either sinking down or coming up from the back. So try both ways of either coming up from the back along the outside or going down into the fabric and see which one has better control for you.They look great. Eyelets are something that take that dreaded word, practice!

Kim said...

Thanks Denise!
Martha - Thank you so much for the tip - I am definitely going to try going down on the outside and then up. I think that may solve my even floss distribution problem too!

Gina said...

I would also use the buttonhole stitch instead of the satin/overcast stitch. It will help give you a nice even ridge along the outside.

Kim said...

Hi Gina, Thanks! I will have to try that. I have seen some of the buttonhole stitching around these eyelet holes and I love the look!