Tuesday, January 31, 2012

100 Stitches rosette chain stitch

This is the rosette chain stitch:


It is the latest stitch on my 100 Stitches journey.  I think this is a beautiful stitch that would be nice for borders:


I had avoided learning this stitch because it looked so hard! I had tried it a few times and I just wasn't getting it.  But I decided to try again and I am so glad I did because now that I know how to do it, it is very simple and straightforward.  For my little demonstration, I am using pearl cotton floss, dmc #666 and I am going to be drawing some parallel guidelines:


I drew mine about 1/4" apart:


This stitch is always worked from right to left.  The first step is to come up through the fabric on the right edge of the top line:



Pull the floss all the way through and to the left:



now bring the needle around to the right in a big circle and go back into the fabric on the top line, to the left of where the floss first emerged.  Bring the needle back out on the bottom line.  Notice the needle is goin into the fabric at a diagonal, from the top line coming out on the bottom line at a slant:


The needle goes over the working floss at the bottom of the big circle:



Pull all the way through and this is the crossed loop that forms:


Now bring your needle up under the right side of the crossed loop.  Don't go into the fabric or pick up any fabric, just slide the needle under the floss:


Pull all the way through, but not too tight:


Now, bring the needle around again, creating a big circle.  This time, the needle goes under the working floss, into the fabric on the top line at a slant and emerging on the bottom line:


Start pulling through and make sure the needle now goes over the working floss at the bottom of the big circle:


Pull all the way through and you have this crossed loop again:


Slide the needle up and under the right side of the crossed loop, again not picking up any fabric, just sliding under:


And just keep repeating these steps


until you have a full line:


of beautiful stitching:


This stitch is nice and neat on the underside:


and gorgeous on the topside!



I'm really happy to add this stitch to my repertoire.  I know I will use it as a border on tea towels.  100 Stitches suggested working this in a circle to form small flowers - I am definitely going to try that too!
This is stitch #48 on the 100 Stitches list, it is in the linked stitches category.  I have finished all 13 stitches in the linked stitches category!

23 comments:

donna!ee said...

awesome awesome awesome...i am in a rolodex card swap and we are to embroider on it and this si the stitch i'll be using...thyank you much! :)

Denise :) said...

Kim, I love this stitch! You do such a great job of demystifying embroidery stitches for me!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Have to try this one! Looks like curly cues!!

Libby said...

WOW!! That is a beauty Kim! Very dainty!

Angela Lee said...

Beautiful! I could definitely see it as a border stitch or for flowers. Can't wait to try it.

l'alternativa said...

Sei troppo forte!!!!!!!!!
Baci
Emi

Digna said...

Hi Kim, I love this stitch, I have definitively to try to use as a nice border.
Thanks for the wonderful tuto.
Digna

Kim said...

Donna!ee - Thanks! This stitch is going to look so good for your swap - how fun!
Denise - Thank you! I am so happy if these are helpful.
Miss Paula-I hope you do try it - I love the curly look of this stitch :)
Libby - Thank you!
Hi Angela - Thanks! I really want to try the flowers too.
Ciao Emi - Grazie! :)
Hi Digna - Thank you! I think you will love using this as a border!

Sparklyjools said...

This is a beautiful stitch!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Good job on explaining this one... I love it! I probably would never have tried a stitch like... but now I probably could!

monica

Eloisa said...

Son unos tutoriales de bordado maravillosos,parece fácil cuando lo haces tu.Tengo que probarlo.Lo explicas muy,muy bien.Gracias.Un beso.

thestitchsmith said...

Love this - and good idea about borders and I like the flower idea too - bit of a change from lazy daisy! thanks for sharing.

Bits of Stitching! said...

Beautiful! I can see them worked in a small circle with just enough space in the center for a few french knots.

Farah said...

Very decent one I really love it so elegant touch it has... do you use it in any project? I am waiting for that project Kim...
Hope you would like to visit me at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
With love
Farah

Kim said...

Thank you Jules!
Monica - I hope you try this stitch. It is so fun :)
Hola Eloisa - Gracias! Me gusta hacer esto!
Stitchsmith - Thank you! I am looking forward to using this stitch on a project soon!
Monika - Thank you! I would love to make a flower like that. I would like to try it with a variegated floss too.

Laura said...

Queda precioso !!
Muchísimas gracias por enseñarnos !!! :)

Un besito desde Barcelona !!

Anonymous said...

Très joli point. Merci pour les explications. Je vais l'essayer. Bonne journée

http://blue.sydonie.over-blog.com

Kelly Casanova said...

That is a really beautiful little stitch, thanks so much for sharing :)

Kim said...

Hola Laura! Gracias!
Blue Sydonie - Bonjour! Je vous remercie! Merci pour le lien vers votre blog magnifique!
Hi The Handmaden - Thank you! :)

Sam and Gail said...

I am about to try this, but what keeps the loops from flipping upward and losing the nice organized look?
Gail

Kim said...

Hi Gail! I'm so glad you are going to try this stitch! The bottom edge of the loop is free and flexible, you can flip it upward but it stops because at the point where the floss comes up through the fabric (inside the loop - see picture #10 above ) and then slides under the right side of the crossed loop (see picture #11) - that forms a floss under/over point, that keeps the loop from flipping all the way up and staying there. I hope that makes sense - you will see when you stitch a few of these what I mean! Let me know how it goes :)

Sandie said...

Very easy to understand directions. Glad I Googled this one. The instructions in my pattern were not so clear. Thank you so much.

Kim said...

Hi Sandie - Thank you! I am so glad this was helpful. This is such a beautiful stitch and it is a fun one to do - looks way more complicated than it is once you know how to do it.