Monday, June 8, 2020

Teddy Bear On A Swing Embroidery - Part One

This teddy bear on a swing is a work in progress that I wanted to share.  There is not much work done, as I am still in the color selecting phase!

You may remember this little teddy bear - he is from my Teddy Bear embroidery set.  I have previously stitched him in dark brown:

This time around, I have started with these gold, cream and black colors.  The bear will be filled in, probably with a combination of Long and Short Stitch, Straight Stitch and Back Stitch.  

When I have more progress to show, I will be back with Part Two! 

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Folk Art Flowers Project - Part One

My current project is embroidering this motif from my Folk Art Flowers embroidery pattern set.  

I am using a mixture of perle cotton and six strand cotton floss.  I will make sure to post my progress, the stitches used and my color palette.

Friday, May 22, 2020

Chives Embroidery Project - Part Two

I finished embroidering the chives border.  

I first blogged about this project {here} and you may remember that this border motif is from my Herbs embroidery pattern set. 

I only used three different stitches for this project.  The flowers are Lazy Daisy Stitch, the buds are Straight Stitch and the stems are Stem Stitch.

I used satin floss for the chive buds and flowers and cotton floss for the stems.  Here are the color numbers:

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Space Theme Pillowcase Border - Part One

 I have a work in progress to share.  I am making a pillowcase with a space themed motif.  The motif is from my Space! embroidery pattern set.

I am using this midnight blue colored fabric.  Since I cannot see through the fabric, I used tracing paper to transfer the motif.  

This tracing paper comes in a variety of colors that show up on dark fabric.  I used the yellow sheet.  I turned the sheet colored side down and taped my motif on top of it.

I used a stylus to trace over the motif.  When I finished and lifted off the paper - I was very happy with the quality of the transfer: 

Easy to see and stitch!  

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Four Legged Knot Stitch

Time for another 100 Stitches post!   This is the Four-legged Knot Stitch.  It is an isolated stitch:

For my demonstration, I used perle cotton floss in DMC no. 995:

The first step is to make a vertical Straight Stitch:

Then come up through the fabric on the right side of the Straight Stitch :

Pull the needle over the Straight Stitch so the floss crosses over the Straight Stitch and then bring the needle back around :

Now slide the needle under the floss and the Straight Stitch without going back into the fabric.  

Pull the needle all the way through.  You will see the floss is creating a loop - make sure the needle is going through it : 

this will create a knot :

Now go back into the fabric on the left side of the Straight Stitch.  This will create a small horizontal Straight Stitch:

Pull all the way through and that completes the Four-legged Knot Stitch:

If you wish to make a row of these just follow the above steps and work from right to left:

Here is a look at the underside of this stitch:

I learned the stitch from the book Embroidery Stitches by Mary Webb.

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Arizona Embroidery Part Four

All done with the embroidery on this project! You can see the other posts here:  {1 2 3

Here is my stitch list - I used Long and Short Stitch for the cactus paddles.   Straight Stitch for the cactus  fruit, spines and for the interior of the rattlesnake body.  I used Back Stitch for the rattlesnake outline and some of the text outlines.  The spots on the cactus paddles are French Knots.

Here is my color palette along with the corresponding floss numbers: 

Monday, April 13, 2020

Chives Embroidery Project - Part One

I have a work in progress to share.  I am embroidering this chive border from my Herbs embroidery pattern set. 

For the chive flowers, I am using satin embroidery floss.  Satin floss is slippery and a little difficult to work with - but very much worth the effort!  It has such a beautiful sheen:

For all the stems, I am using regular cotton floss in a mixture of greens.   

I will post soon on the floss color numbers and the stitches used in this project.

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Butterfly Embroidery Projects

This black and grey butterfly is stitched from another motif included in my Butterfly Garden embroidery pattern set.  I introduced this set in my previous blog post.  

He is stitched with Lazy Daisy stitches in an ombre color effect from black to light gray.  For his body, I used a Couching Stitch couched with silver metallic floss.

Also, as I mentioned in my previous post, I want to share the stitch and color information for the butterfly wreath.    
All of the stems are done with the Back Stitch.  The leaves are Fish bone Stitch.  The light and dark pink flowers and all flower centers are French Knots.  The random accent leaves are Lazy Daisy.  The light yellow starburst flower is formed with Straight Stitches:

The butterfly is Back Stitch, Lazy Daisy Stitches and French Knots: 

Here are the floss color numbers used in this palette:

Friday, March 27, 2020

Butterfly Garden Embroidery Pattern

This beautiful butterfly and flower wreath is from a new hand embroidery pattern set available in my Etsy shop!  The pattern set is called Butterfly Garden.

If you follow me on Instagram, you will have seen a design in-progress screen capture I recently shared:

A lot of flowers and pretty butterflies!
Here is a look at the pattern set:

I will post next week about this wreath - the stitches used and my color palette.