The next stitch I have been working on is the stem stitch (stitch #1). This is actually the first stitch that the book 100 Stitches profiles but it isn't a stitch I have had a lot of experience with. In fact, I wasn't exactly sure how to do it before I read this book! It is very easy and a really quick stitch to do.
I have come across a beautiful little book that belonged to my great grandmother. It was published in 1936.
Finally all the stitching is done on my butterfly wip. To fix the mistake I made on his eye, I tried to use a small silver sequin. It didn't look right so I ended up using a french knot! It looks a little odd but not bad enough to start over :)
I love the "butterfly" lettering and it was very easy to do. I like the way the letters look outlined but I may try a fill stitch and see if I like the look better. I have cut the denim fabric into an 8" x 8" square piece ready to be a patch for my denim tote bag or a journal cover.
The next stitch I have just learned from the 100 stitches book is the "threaded backstitch" (stitch #7 - includes both backstitch and threaded backstitch). It looks much more complicated than it actually is to do! First you do a simple backstitch - shown in the aqua color. Then you start a new thread, - shown in pink - coming up through the fabric right next to one side of the start of the backstitch line. You simply weave this thread under the backstitch stitches without picking up any fabric. It just lays on the surface of the fabric but under the backstitch stitches. The third thread -shown in brown - comes up on the opposite side of the backstitch line and weaves under the other two threads!
Here is a little closer look: it is really fun to do and very easy after you practice a bit.
I have started stitching on the butterfly wip. I decided after trying out several colors that I really love this satiny white floss and bright red floss together.
There was an unfortunate incident when I was finishing the butterfly's eye. I didn't like the way the floss was looking - I had used too many strands - and I decided to take it out. Instead of patiently and carefully pulling the stitching out, I used scissors and of course - I snipped through the fabric - sooooo I don't exactly know how I will fix this...maybe a button?
The word butterfly is almost done and I love the way the white french knots look!
As I mentioned in a previous post, I am working my way through an embroidery book called 100 Embroidery Stitches. Stitch number one was the back stitch . The second stitch i am going to show is found in the knotted stitches section of the book and is: the french knot (stitch #52). I already know how to do this stitch but it is such a fun one to do that I couldn't resist doing a little sample! I used three strands of DMC floss in the beautiful acid green color #704
I am starting a new embroidery project on this very light-weight denim fabric. I am not sure what I am going to do with this - perhaps make a little pillow or use it as a patch on a tote bag. I think it would also look good framed or even as part of a journal book cover. The patterns I am going to embroider are embellishment patterns from the "Butterfly" pattern packet. I am using the butterfly and the word butterfly. I used my copier to increase the size of the butterfly by 130%.
Here they both are ready to be traced onto my fabric using carbon transfer paper. In a previous post I detailed this process.
The transfer came through really well on this light colored fabric!Now I am ready to stitch! I think I will use these bright colors.
I am attempting to work my way through a book titled "One Hundred Embroidery Stitches". I will post my progress as I learn each stitch. Below is a linked index of the stitches - just click on the stitch name to see the corresponding post.
Here is the list of the stitches I will be learning and their categories:
then six pages of embellishment patterns. There are so many fun ways to draw teapots, cups and
all the tea accessories.
This is what the main pattern looks like all stitched up. I used the silver metallic floss for the tea tray to make it look like a silver tray. Metallic floss is SO difficult to stitch with but it just looks so beautiful when you are finished!
The covered sugar bowl and creamer were really fun to stitch. In the embellishment patterns, there is a sugar bowl with the lid removed and you can see all the sugar cubes.
So far, I have made two tea towels - one with the main pattern and one with this yellow diamond patterned teapot.
I just love the color combination on this tea towel -
here is a close up of the word Tea at the bottom of the towel.
And I am making this tea tray doily. I really love the way it is turning out!
I do think however that it needs some sort of finishing trim around the edge.