Tuesday, August 4, 2009

100 Stitches

I am attempting to work my way through a book titled "One Hundred Embroidery Stitches".  I will post my progress as I learn each stitch.  Below is a linked index of the stitches - just click on the stitch name to see the corresponding post.




Here is the list of the stitches I will be learning and their categories:

Category :  Flat Stitches
1.     Stem Stitch
2.     Pekinese Stitch
3.     Cable Stitch
4.     Running Stitch and Laced Running Stitch
5.     Fern Stitch
6.     Satin Stitch
7.     Back Stitch and Threaded Back Stitch
8.     Straight Stitch
9.     Long and Short Stitch
10.   Flat Stitch
11.   Fishbone Stitch
12.   Open Fishbone Stitch
13.   Leaf Stitch
14.   Roumanian Stitch
15.   Herringbone Stitch and Threaded Herringbone Stitch
16.   Double Back Stitch
17.   Chevron Stitch
18.   Overcast Stitch
19.   Cross Stitch
20.   Holbein Stitch
21.   Eyelet Holes
22.   Portuguese Stem Stitch

Category :  Looped Stitches

23.   Blanket stitch or Buttonhole Stitch
24.   Closed Buttonhole Stitch
25.   Knotted Buttonhole Stitch
26.   Up and Down Buttonhole Stitch
27.   Buttonhole Stitch with Picot
28.   Button hole Stitch Bars and Double Buttonhole Stitch Bars
29.   Feather Stitch
30.   Closed Feather Stitch
31.   Chained Feather Stitch
32.   Scroll Stitch
33.   Loop Stitch
34.   Vandyke Stitch
35.   Cretan Stitch
36.   Open Cretan Stitch
37.   Ladder Stitch
38.   Fly Stitch

Category : Linked Stitches

39.   Chain Stitch
40.   Lazy Daisy Stitch
41.   Twisted Chain Stitch
42.   Open Chain Stitch
43.   Zig-zag Chain Stitch
44.   Heavy Chain Stitch
45.   Cable Chain Stitch
46.   Zig-zag Cable Chain Stitch
47.   Checkered Chain Stitch
48.   Rosette Chain Stitch
49.   Singalese Chain Stitch
50.   Split Stitch
51.   Wheatear Stitch

Category : Knotted Stitches

52.   French Knot
53.   Bullion Stitch
54.   Coral Stitch
55.   Zig-zag Coral Stitch
56.   Knot Stitch Edging
57.   Knotted Cable Chain Stitch
58.   Double Knot Stitch
59.   Spanish Knotted Feather Stitch

Category : Composite Stitches

60.   Interlaced Band Stitch
61.   Interlacing Stitch
62.   Maltese Cross
63.   Portuguese Border Stitch
64.   Raised Chain Band
65.   Step Stitch
66.   Striped Woven Band

Category : Couching and Filling Stitches

67.   Couching
68,   Roumanian Couching
69.   Bokhara Couching
70.   Trellis or Jacobean Couching
71.   Sheaf Filling Stitch
72.   Seeding Stitch
73.   Spider Web Filling Stitch
74.   Punch Stitch

Category : Drawn Thread Embroidery

75.   Hemstitch
76.   Interlaced Hemstitch
77.   Zig-zag Hemstitch
78.   Hemstitch with Coral Stitch Clusters
79.   Needleweaving
80.   Double or Italian Hemstitch
81.   Overcast Bars
82.   Woven Bars

Category : Canvas Embroidery

83.   Tent Stitch
84.   Gobelin Stitch
85.   Double Cross Stitch
86.   Long-legged Cross Stitch
87.   Rice Stitch
88.   Knotted Stitch

Category : Drawn Fabric Embroidery

89.   Star Eyelet
90.   Honeycomb Filling Stitch
91.   Wave Stitch Filling
92.   Diagonal Raised Band
93.   Ringed Back Stitch Filling
94.   Mosaic Filling
95.   Pin Stitch
96.   Three-sided Stitch
97.   Four-sided Stitch

Category : Insertion Stitches

98.   Buttonhole Insertion Stitch
99.   Twisted Insertion Stitch
100. Knotted Insertion Stitch


14 comments:

Gina Matarazzo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina Matarazzo said...

I just stumbled upon this post several months late. This book looks fabulous! I just picked up a copy from Amazon. Can't wait to get stitching! Love your designs, by the way. :)

My 1st Bambina ! said...

I think I have a couple of copies of the newer version of this book, ...
Is it from Coats & Clarks ? If you like I will be happy to send you one of the copies so you can compare :-), with a pack of chenille needles #26 !
Feel free to email me to let me know: myfirstbambina (at) yahoo (dot) com.

My 1st Bambina ! said...

Got your email ;-), looking forward to your review !

Anonymous said...

I haave a copy of this book. I have been thinking of doing the same thing as you, just pick up a cotton dish towel and start wiht stitch one.

In fact I am getting ready to order a coats and clark version of 100 embroidery stitches. The older copy is what I am ordering.

I have to let you know, the main reason for my post, is that I admire your zeal, and the way you explain, even though you are left handed, you have met the challenge!

big B said...

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your comment. I hope you work your way through the book - it is turning out to be such a fun project and I am really pleased to be adding all these stitches to my repertoire. Please post your progress - I would love to hear about it!

UpsideDown Kate said...

Where in the world did you find this book? I want it!!

big B said...

Hi Kate! This book was my mom's. The copyright is 1964 - it has a price printed on the cover of .35 cents :) It is in really good condition. I see amazon.com have several of the same version - 1964 (now selling for more than $3.00) and the 1979 version. I love this book - simple and thoughtfully laid out.

Madame Samm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
big B said...

Hi Madame Samm - Thank you! I think you will really like this book - I am enjoying working my way through it!

summer said...

This is a brilliant goal, especially, I think, for embroidery newbies, like me! I have this book also and I think I'll make it a goal to work my way through the 100 stitches, too! Thanks for the idea :D

big B said...

Hi Summer, Thank you :) I am so glad you have this book and are going to work your way through - it is really fun to try these stitches, I think you will enjoy it!

Megan Nordyke said...

You may have already answered this question, but I didn't get a chance to read the comments for every post. What kind of fabric do you use? It is quite nice; my guess would be a linen or linen blend?

big B said...

Hi Megan - Thank you! I love this fabric, it is 100% cotton and it is a medium weave. It is quilting weight and I usually buy it in the quilting department at the fabric store.