Monday, March 18, 2024

Butterfly Garden Embroidery Project

 This embroidery is from my Butterfly Garden pattern set.  


This is a fairly good sized motif, 5.5" vertically and 5" horizontally.  

All of the stems are done with Stem Stitch.  The green leaves are Fish Bone Stitch and the blue leaves are Lazy Daisy Stitch.


The lilac colored dots are French Knots.  The lilac and green flowers are Straight Stitch, with their tops edge outlined by Double Knot Stitch.  The flower pistils are done with Pistil Stitch. The tiny leaves under the flower are Straight Stitch. For the butterfly, his wing tops are outlined with Stem Stitch and his antennae are Pistil Stitch.  He has French knots across his wings. His wing spots are Straight Stitch.  The leaf vein lines in the green leaves are also Straight Stitch.


The color palette for this project is below:



10 comments:

Darla Mae said...

Hi Kim,

Such pretty colors! The textures are great...but I adore the butterfly! It simply pops out and is beautiful! Wonderful project!

Darlene

P.S. I was worried along with Malika. Glad you are back :-)

Lyn Warner said...

Lovely fresh colours and very pretty design!

Kim said...

Hi Darlene - Thank you! For your concern and your very nice comment!!! I like these textures as well - I was attempting to make the butterfly look soft and ethereal but I couldn't resist adding all those French Knots!

Kim said...

Hi Lyn - Thank you so much!! I am currently working on a companion piece for this in a different color palette and I can't wait to post about it.

Darla Mae said...

I think you made it, Kim! I think the butterflies lower wings remind me of a flowing gown and the French knots are like a tiny Fairy rosebud belt. And the gorgeous blue is big, puffy sleeves. ;-)

Kim said...

Darlene - Wonderful description!!! Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
Good to see this post. Darlene glad to know I was not alone in the concern I had. Your description of the butterfly is lovely.

Yes. the butterfly stands out and the unusual stitch combination makes it exciting. Your colour combination makes it so lovely and welcoming.

This combination reminded me of the vintage book of poems of R.L.Stevenson that has embroidery designed by Virginia Tiffany.

Mallika

Kim said...

Thank you Mallika! I really like the color combination too! Is the R.L. Stevenson book A Child's Garden of Verses? I am enjoying seeing the illustrations online - I see there is a 1969 one available on Etsy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Yes. It is A Child's garden of verses. A friend got me one from your country when she visited. I love the book. Planning to do the embroidery as it is given in the book.

Mallika

Kim said...

Hi Mallika - That is a great idea!!! That will be a really enjoyable project, I look forward to hearing about it as you work through the book :)