Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Brick and Cross Filling Stitch


Time for a new addition to my 100 Stitches Plus list.

This is the Brick and Cross Filling Stitch.



For my demonstration, I am using this color variations perle cotton floss:


As the name states, this is a filling stitch.  It is a very easy one, made up of Straight Stitches and Cross Stitches.  
This filling is worked in vertical columns, working top to bottom and from left to right. 
To start, I came up through the fabric at the top left corner of the area to be filled:


I formed four Straight Stitches:




Under the four Straight Stitches, I made a Cross Stitch:



 Then another set of four Straight Stitches:


For the next column, I started and ended with the Cross Stitch:


And for the final column, I repeated the steps from the first column: 



So simple!  Here is a look at the underside of the fabric:  



This stitch is from the book Embroidery Stitches by Mary Webb.

3 comments:

Lyn Warner said...

Hi Kim. I tried Brick and Cross on a sampler recently and found the spacing quite tricky and I eventually had to mark out all my stitches. It was interesting to see that you worked it vertically.

Kim said...

Hi Lyn,
Yes, I usually use marking lines for this type of stitch! However, the instructions in the book I used specified working the stitch in vertical, starting from the top to the bottom. I think it would have been much more difficult trying to space horizontal rows!

Jennifer said...

Learning Embroidery Digitizing from Absolute Digitizing. As they offers an exceptional opportunity to learn embroidery digitizing, providing comprehensive resources and expert guidance. Their user-friendly approach empowers enthusiasts and professionals alike to master the art of digitization with ease. From basic techniques to advanced skills, Absolute Digitizing's educational materials ensure a rewarding learning experience. Trust Absolute Digitizing to be your trusted partner in learning the intricacies of embroidery digitizing.