Saturday, May 7, 2022

Embroidered Beach Pillow Project - Part One


This beautiful linen is going to be made into a pillow cover.  First, I am embroidering some beach theme motifs on each side.  This "Beach" text inside an arrow and the line of starfish are both from my Beach House embroidery set.  

To transfer these motifs to my fabric, I would usually put them under the fabric and trace on top of the fabric with my water soluble marker.  However, since I can't see through this thick linen, I need to use another method:

Tracing paper {or carbon transfer paper} works perfectly for this application.  

To transfer, I put the tracing paper on my fabric {notice the shiny side is against the fabric and the dull side is facing up.  Then I put the motif on top and start tracing.  I have this stylus for tracing, but I have also used a ball point pen and it works just fine.


I tape the layers of fabric, tracing paper, motif down with removable tape.  This washi tape works perfectly:



The image transferred clearly and now I can start stitching! 



I haven't chosen my floss colors yet, I am thinking a combination of these blues:



4 comments:

Darla Mae said...

Kim,

I think that those blues will look lovely on the linen. I look forward to seeing your work on this project.

Darlene

Kim said...

Thank you Darlene! I love these blue tones and hope they work! I will be sure to post my progress.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Mallika here. I can feel the sea breeze already. The blue shades are lovely. These very shades you have chosen are my family's favourite colours. My father's side of the family. All of the clan from my father's side we have these shades in everything. SO I am looking forward to seeing how this project comes out. I already feel it will be lovely.

Kim said...

Hi Mallika, Thank you! What a poetic comment :) I think your family has wonderful taste in colors. I love these blues as well - if you are interested, the floss color numbers {from dark to light} are: DMC 518, 598, 3761, and 162. I may also mix in some white, DMC Blanc. When I finish this, I will add any other color numbers if I end up using them.