Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Embroidered Pillowcases - Part Two


You may remember my earlier post about my white on white pillowcase stitching project. 

Based on some helpful advice I received in the comments of that post, I decided to run a test before I started.  I needed to make sure that I would be able to see the white stitching against the white fabric and that I would like the white on white look.   

So, I did a bit of testing on the fabric.  I wanted to try both six strand cotton floss and cotton perle floss:


First is the six strand cotton floss - stem stitching:


Next will be the perle cotton:


Here they are side by side for comparison:


And a little closer look. 


I like them both and think either would be fine to use, but for this particular application, I prefer the flatter, smoother and silkier look of the six strand cotton floss.

I also tested the six strand floss using the satin stitch.  I am very pleased with the result:


Now for the border motif.  I have narrowed my choices down from these :


To these two.  I am about 99% sure I will choose the flowers!



6 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

That is going to be stunning! Please keep us up to date.

Kim said...

Thanks Jane! I have already started on these and they are looking great so far...I will keep you up to date :)

Angela Lee said...

I like the flowers too. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Kim said...

Angela :) Good! Me too.

Ana Love Craft said...

Lovely borders motifs! I love the hearts! White embroideries are beautiful.
Have a nice day!
Hugs and love from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

When you embroider on finished pillowcases, do you go through both layers of the fabric (where it is hemmed at the case opening)? I was just wondering because the "back" will show on the inside of the pillowcase. That's how I've done it in the past, but I was just wondering if that's what you do.