Thursday, January 16, 2014

Valentine's Day Card - In Fabric!


I am making a card for Valentine's Day and I thought it would be really fun to try an embroidery card. 

I found some really nice black linen/cotton blend fabric, I had some left over from this tea towel I made a while back.  I  gathered up these Valentine images  -  I decided not to use the dove, I thought it was a little to big for my project.  After I arranged all the pieces,  I transferred the images onto my fabric using this wax free tracing paper.  It was so easy to see the stitching lines in this bright yellow:


Then I stitched everything in white floss.  


After the stitching was done, I trimmed the fabric evenly on all four edges.  I love my new quilter's square :)


When it was all trimmed up, I placed it onto some white paper, this is presentation paper.  I haven't glued it onto the paper or decided how I am going to finish the fabric edges.  This fabric really likes to ravel and I like the fringed edge it leaves...any suggestions?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! This is so nice...
what if you sew the edges of the fabric using a sewing machine, but not by all. I mean 1 inch from the edge of the fabric so you can still keep the fringed edge it leaves. :-)

Sparklyjools said...

I like the frayed edge look. A very sweet project Kim.
I sometimes brush the edges very, very lightly with fabric glue, or watered down Elmer's glue, and allow it to dry thoroughly. If you use a light touch and don't oversoak it you can keep the fringe effect without more unraveling. I would do a test on a spare bit of of your fabric first though:).

Kim said...

Hi McEtty Charles - Thank you! That is an excellent idea - I am thinking that would be a wonderful fix - I had also considered a running stitch in floss around the edge. I will keep you posted!
Jules - Thank you - I never thought of glue or watered down glue. I am still trying to figure out the best glue to attach the fabric to the paper ;)
I pressed this yesterday with so much steam the fabric is still drying out! I have plenty of this fabric so I will try some tests. Thanks for the ideas!

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

It looks very nice! Love the black and white idea :))

Angela Lee said...

That is so creative Kim. I think you did a fabulous job. I was thinking of a running stitch or even a chain stitch and let it ravel to the stitch. Either in white or black. The black would give it a very subtle raised look if you used a thicker stitch to outline. You could also use pinking shears as an easy solution. Whatever you decide, it will be fabulous.

Kim said...

Silvia - Thank you! I love black and white too - so vivid :)
Angela - Thank you - that is a great idea, I like either stitch and I was thinking a black perle cotton floss you would look good and give a nice textured line.