Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Net Passing Stitch


 This complex looking stitch is the Net Passing Stitch. 
 

This is the latest stitch I have learned on my 100 Stitches journey.   
I learned this from the book Embroidery Stitches by Mary Webb.

To demonstrate, I selected three different shades of perle cotton floss:

Although complex looking, Net Passing Stitch is just made up of long Straight Stitches.  The complex part is ensuring even spacing!  I used a ruler and a water-soluble marker.

I spaced my start/stop stitch marks 1/4" apart:


There were no instructions on beginning this stitch but after looking at the pictures, I started in the lower left corner.  This will be a diagonal Straight Stitch:

Then I repeated this across the whole marked grid:




Next, I started in the upper left corner - again with diagonal Straight Stitches but now in a different colored floss:


across the whole grid:


The final set of Straight Stitches is horizontal and the needle weaves through the the other Straight Stitches at each intersection.  I used the third color of floss for this one:



According to Embroidery Stitches, this stitch is also known as the Honeycomb Filling Stitch.  If you are a regular reader of this blog, you may remember that I previously demonstrated "Honeycomb Filling Stitch".  It is a totally different stitch.  I had learned that version from the book that started this whole project : 100 Stitches.  That blog post can be read here .  As you can see, a different stitch!  




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim, this looks wonderful. It looks complex and as always when you show the step-by-step working of the stitch it looks so doable :)
Mallika

Kim said...

Hi Mallika - thank you! This is a doable one for sure and I am looking forward to using it in a project. I love that you can combine different colors too :)