Monday, December 2, 2019

Plaited Fly Stitch



Time for another stitch from my 100 Stitches Plus list.  This is the Plaited Fly Stitch.


The first steps are done exactly like the Fly Stitch :





At this point, the Plaited Fly Stitch differs from the Fly Stitch.  Instead of going back into the fabric right below the stitch to tie it down, go into the fabric much further below: 


This results in a long tail tie down stitch:




The other difference is that the next Fly Stitch is started inside the first to create an overlapping or plaited row of stitches.





The finished row of stitches looks so beautiful:




 Here is a look at the underside of this stitch:



I found this stitch in the book Embroidery Stitches by Mary Webb.

The perle cotton floss I used is DMC Color Variations number 4255.

3 comments:

Darla Mae said...

This looks like a great border stitch, Kim. You picked a lovely color to showcase it.

Darlene

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have that book and really should embroider more.
Merry Christmas

Kim said...

:) Thank you Darlene! I love that color!
Hi Carol - Isn't that a great book?! I am so glad I finally found a copy in good shape! Have a Merry Christmas :)