Friday, July 26, 2019

Sprat's Head Stitch




 Time for another stitch from my 100 Stitches Plus list.  This one is called Sprat's Head.

You can see the Sprat's Head is made in a triangle shape.  The instructions for this stitch recommended to take care that the two side stitches will be the same length.  I decided I would use a triangle template to make sure!




The first step is to come up through the fabric at the left base of the triangle: 



Pull the thread all the way through.  Go back into the fabric at the top tip of the triangle: 



Come out of the fabric a bit to the left of the triangle tip:



Pull the thread all the way through:





Next, go back into the fabric at the right base:



and come back out of the fabric right next to the left base where the thread very first emerged:



pull the thread all the way through:



Now the steps are the same as before.  Go into and out of the fabric at the top of the triangle.  Notice the needle is going through the fabric and the stitch is under the previous stitching:



Pull through and as before go into the fabric at the base:




I just continued the same steps until the triangle was filled.   



To finish, I went back through the fabric:



and secured my thread underneath:





This stitch is from the book Embroidery Stitches by Mary Webb.
The beautiful perle cotton thread I used is DMC no. 4022.

No comments: