Friday, June 14, 2019

Rope Stitch




The Rope Stitch is the latest embroidery stitch I have learned from my 100 Stitches Plus list. 

For my demonstration, I am using perle cotton floss. This is DMC color variations number 48:


The Rope Stitch looks best done along a gently curving line.  I marked this line as a guide:


The stitch is worked from right to left.  I came up through the fabric at the right edge of the guideline: 


and pulled the floss all the way through: 





I brought the needle around and went back into the fabric right alongside where the floss first emerged:


Next, I brought the needle back up through the fabric at a slant right along the marked line.  The needle is passing under the working thread and then over the working thread: 


This creates a loop when the floss is pulled all the way through: 


Then I brought the needle back around and went back into the fabric right where my floss emerged:


and came back out of the fabric at a slant along the marked line.  


Notice my needle is first passing under the working thread and then over to form a loop:


I pulled the floss all the way through and continued in the same fashion all along the marked line.



At the end of the line, I went back into the fabric 


and secured the floss on the underside:




I learned this beautiful stitch from the book Embroidery Stitches by Mary Webb and from the extremely helpful video by Mary Corbet of 
Needle 'n Thread





No comments: