Thursday, April 16, 2015

Triceratops Project - Part Seven

 Time to start sewing on this Triceratops project! 

You can read the progress posts up to this point here: {part one} {part two} {part three} {part four} {part five{part six
Since my last post, I finished the final pressing of this panel and have started to plan how to finish the project.  I am intending this to be a pillow, using this piece as the front panel.  

For trim, I remembered that I have a nice amount this wide, green rickrack.  It is the perfect matching color and I think the chunky size complements the motifs and lettering:  

I am going to use it on the face of the panel rather than inserting it into the seam that joins the front and back panel.

First, I pinned the rickrack in place: 

Then I hand basted all the way around:

I took special care on the corners, I didn't want a 90 degree angle, but a curve.  Happily, the rickrack was very cooperative!

Done!  I like the way the rickrack provides a nice frame around the motifs and lettering:

I joined the raw edges of the rickrack by turning under the top edge, and I am not pleased with how bulky it looks.  Before I actually sew this in place, I may experiment with turning both raw edges under and butting the folded edges to each other.  I think it will reduce the bulk.

I will post about how this turns out, and what I am planning for the back panel.


Darlene said...

Oh my gosh, it turned out great! I love the rick rack, such a nice frame for the embroidery.

Kim said...

Thank you Darlene - I agree! I am so happy I had this on hand :)