Tuesday, February 24, 2015

100 Stitches - Back Stitch



Time for another 100 Stitches post.  This beautiful stitch is the Back Stitch. 
I love doing this stitch and use it all the time.  It is a very nice stitch to use for outlining. 

I am using perle cotton floss, this is DMC #4200 Color Variations



 I used a ruler and a water soluble marker to draw a straight stitching line to follow:


This stitch is going to be worked from right to left on the stitching line.  The first step is to come up through the fabric a little bit in from the right edge of the stitching line:


Then take a small back stitch to the right with the needle going into the fabric at the end of the stitching line:


Pull all the way through to form a stitch:


Now bring the needle up through the fabric a little ways to the left of where the floss first emerged:


 Pull all the way through:



 Next, go back into the fabric in the same hole from which the floss very first emerged:



Pull all the way through to form the second stitch:



 Continue in the same way, coming up through the fabric to the left of the last stitch:


Pulling through and going back into the fabric in the same hole as the previous stitch:


Keep stitching to the end of the stitching line:


When I got to the end of the stitching line, I secured my thread on on the underside of the fabric by running my needle under a few of the stitches.


Here is a look at the underside of this stitching line:


The back stitch is number seven on the list of 100 Stitches and is found in the Flat Stitches category.


6 comments:

Summer said...

I like back stitch as well, its a very useful stitch.

jagodaj said...

My favorite stitch:)

Kim said...

Summer - It is! I use it all the time.
jogodaj - One of mine too :)

Darlene said...

Yep, I agree with you all, it is a great stitch to know and use. I like it for outlining, too.

Ana Love Craft said...

Hi Kim! I love this stitch and its simplicity! So well explained, thanks!
Have a wonderful end of week!
Hugs and love from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Darlene - :)
Ana - Me too! I hope you have a wonderful end of week :)