Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Finished! You may remember from this post when I started this project.
Since that post, I finished up all the stitching. Here are some close ups that show the different stitches I used. For most of the outlines, I used the stem stitch. I also used the stem stitch for some of the interior accent lines. I especially like the purple onion interiors, I used two colors of floss on the stem stitch:
I used multiple rows of stem stitch to give interest and weight to the edges of some of the vegetables. You can see that on the carrots, radishes and radish leaves. The X's are straight stitch and there are plenty of French knots:
To prepare this for framing, I evened up all the raw edges of the fabric. This is a cotton fabric and it is so ravely!
Now for the framing. I used this black frame, it is size 8 X 10:
The stitched area of my fabric measures about 7-1/2" x 8 -1/2", too big to use the matting provided with the frame. Instead, I used the chipboard backing for the frame and added a piece of white paper to give a smooth white surface and then placed my fabric on top of that:
I wrapped the fabric edges around the chipboard:
Folded all the corners over:
and then, using this strong polyester thread:
I stitched back and forth on the long edges and across and back on the short edges. This really allowed me to pull the fabric snug. Hopefully it will keep this looking good in the frame!
and ready to display - I love the way this project turned out!
Here is the color palette for this project: