Tuesday, March 1, 2011

progress on my snowman quilt:

Do you remember my snowman quilt project? Well, I have been busy working on it and I am almost finished with the quilt top:I finished stitching the last two snowmen - one in red: and one in mostly blue: My next step is embroidering on the small squares. I am using images from the Snow! embroidery pattern packetRight now I am adding all the beautiful emroidery stitching over the seams. Here I am using the open cretan stitch: I want to use many different stitches to embellish the seams. I love the way they look. This project has been so much fun and I am learning a lot about quilting. One thing I need to figure out is the order of sewing everything together. I actually sewed all the inside blocks together, sewed all the outside border pieces together (making sort of a frame) and then sewed the frame to the big inside piece. Is this the right process? I would appreciate any tips - here is my quilt plan so you can see the pattern I am using. I will keep posting my progress!

11 comments:

MomWaldsPlace said...

Looking great! It will be fun to see what stitches you use on your borders.

Dixie said...

Whatever works is the correct quilt making process. Looking into the future I am seeing someone's cherished heirloom here.

dandelion said...

It's looking beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished... sew faster!

Kate x

Farah said...

Hi Kim ...
It looks pretty with red ... waiting for the finish product...
Want to have some chocolate bites… hope you liked them at
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Mia said...

Your red and light blue color combination is a fresh take the traditional. I also like the idea of using several different stitches over the seams, very clever! Can't wait to see your finished quilt!

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

Love all the embroideries! It looks great! It will be so beautiful :)

Libby said...

This is going to be SOOOO beautiful! I love the stitches on the seams! You are doing great!

Kim said...

Thanks Mom Wald - I think I will use some blue and red floss for the decorative stitching as well.
Hi Dixie - Thank you! I hope it will be an heirloom!
Thank you Kate - I will try!
Thank you Farah! I am heading over to your blog now!
Thanks Mia - I just love red and blue together and they really show off the white snowflakes.
Little Green Doll - Thank you! I can't wait to finish it!
Hi Libby! Thanks! I am learning a lot with this quilt - makes me SO impressed with your quilt piecing on your single girl quilt!

Sam said...

Kim,
I think it's coming out really great! I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Summer said...

your Quilt is lovely, Love the stitch you did on the borders and the Embroidery.

Kim said...

Thanks summer! The stitch on the border is the open Cretan stitch. It is so easy and I think perfect for a patchwork quilt!