Tuesday, January 18, 2011

100 Stitches - Double knot stitch

Look closely at the outline of this heart. This isn't pom pom trim, this is the double knot stitch! here is a nice close up view: and an even closer view:The double knot stitch is the latest stitch I have learned from 100 Stitches. I had to turn the instructions around to do this with my left hand, but with my demonstration you will be able to do this stitch left or right handed! This is a perfect stitch for an outline so to learn the stitch, you just need a drawn line to follow:I worked this stitch from left to right. First, come up through your fabric on the left edge of your stitching line. A little to the right, take a small stitch that is perpendicular to your stitching line: Pull the floss all the way through creating a stitch: Now bring your needle up under the stitch you created. Don't pierce the fabric, just slip the needle under the stitch: Pull the needle all the way through:Next, bring your needle back below the stitching line and make sure the working floss is coming around to the right of your needle like this:Now run your needle under the floss, again not piercing the fabric just going again under the stitch. Notice the needle tip - after it has passed under the stitch, make sure it goes over the working floss:Pull all the way through and to the right to complete the double knot:
That is all there is to this stitch. To continue, you set up your next stitch to the right of your first knot:Continue in the exact same way as the first stitch. I did the first couple of stitches really far apart so that my demonstration would be easy to see. However, I really like the look of the stitching line when the knots are closer together. I would space them more like this: Just continue forming the stitches in a line at your preferred spacing until you have a beautiful line of stitching: Perfect for outlining any shape! This stitch leaves a very nice and neat underside as well: The double knot stitch is #58 and is in the Knotted Stitches section of 100 Stitches.

23 comments:

Two Dollars said...

Your timing is good again as I was wondering the other day what would be the best stitch for writing someone's name - though for the life of me can't remember what project was rattling around in my head ;)
-Stefanie
2ndChanceCreations.etsy.com

donna!ee said...

this is a fantabulous addition for my sampler... kudos on your exceptional teaching style step by step AND AND ALSO PLUS thank you so very much for sharing this...it's so versatile! :)

olisa said...

I love this stitch! I had never seen it before, but now I want to play with it. Perfect description: it does look like pompoms around your heart. It gives it a wonderful, unexpected texture. Thanks for posting this!

Libby said...

This is one of the prettiest stitches that I have seen! It looks so pretty as the outline for that heart! Well done!

Miss Hillbilly said...

That is a really great stitch!! Thanks so much for sharing these!

Nima said...

wow...looks lovely...thank you for explianing it...

John'aLee said...

Oh that is wonderful! I can't wait to try it out!
Love your tutorials!

Wendy said...

I am loving this stitch! It does look like pom pom trim. Thank you.

Farah said...

Its one of my favourite stitch, it is called as Macrame Stitch too... is this the same Kim? Is this key work to open anyone's heart :P... Beautiful project Kim...
Hope you would like to spare a little bit of your time for me sure you will enjoy
http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
Love
Farah

Kim said...

Thank you everyone! This was a fun stitch to learn. I think this will be a useful stitch for all types of projects.

Anonymous said...

I haven't tried any new stitches, aside from the basics, but I definitely love this one. I can't wait to give it a try!

-Sam

The Crafty Side Of Life said...

Just found your blog!! I have always wanted to learn to do this kind of stuff. You do a great job at showing examples of all the steps!!
Your dog is way cute as well!!!!!!!
Also, I'm your newest follower!
Thanks!

Please come join my linky party today through Sunday!
Hope you can make it!! And also come be a follower!

MomWaldsPlace said...

Thanks for making it look so easy!

Kim said...

Thank you ladies! So glad you found the big B blog Crafty! You have such a nice blog - so many fun projects!

Sparky said...

Kim this is sew lovely, I have never seen anything like this before..or if I had I certainly did not recognize it...please connect with me...I would love to ask you to be a guest...

Jacqui said...

Thats a stitch ive seen before, but never gave it a chance! I will definatly have to use it in my next project.

A question...youve probably gotten a hundred times, but where did you get that blue pen you use? Who makes them? I always end up using pencils or sewers tracing paper because the fabric pens i find bleed across the fabric too much.

Kim said...

Thank you Madame Samm - I had not recognized this stitch either - it is a fun one and I love the look!
Hi Jacqui - I hope you will use this stitch! About the transfer pen - I LOVE it!!! It is from Dritz. I bought mine from Joann Fabrics but you can also order it online here. I really like the fine point for making precise lines. I wrote a post about transfer pens - here is the link I hope this is helpful - let me know if you have any questions!

Jacqui said...

Thank You! Yes that DMC blue pen with the thicker tip is what I was using and I just did not like it! Thank you so much ; P

Marjory Skousen said...

WOW you go girl. Love, Love your stuff. Plan to use this stich on a quilt I'm making. I'm your newest follower, hope you'll come by and follow me back too.

Kim said...

Jacqui - You will love the thin tip so much easier to use!
Marjory - Thank you! I am following your blog too!

wenda said...

Thanks Kim for these lovely tutorials, they are so clear and helpful!! You have a lovely blog!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks kim for these tutorials!!
It's what I needed :)

Pilar.

Tanya varshney said...

yups....it is really very helpful.......and it helped me to prepare for my file....thanx a lot for developing such an awesome site........