Friday, December 18, 2015

Bunched Couching Stitch






This is the Bunched Couching Stitch.  It is the latest stitch I have learned on my 100 Stitches Plus journey.

Isn't this a beautiful stitch?  


Just like a regular Couching Stitch, this one is made up of laid threads that are couched with a stitch.   In this case, a Straight Stitch.  

I decided to use contrasting colors, blue for the laid threads and brown for the couching:


The instructions for this stitch mentioned that this is a good stitch to use for wide lines, giving a bold effect. To get the bold effect, use as many strands as you like for just the right chunkiness. 
For demonstration, I chose three strands of perle cotton thread for the laid threads:



The stitch is worked from right to left.  The first step is to take one of the laid threads and come up at the right edge of the stitching line:


Pull that thread all the way through and let it just rest on the fabric:



do the same with the second and third{or however many you are using}threads:



Once all the laid threads are pulled through, it is time to couch them:


 Bring the couching thread up just below the laid threads:



 Pull all the way through.  Bring your needle across the laid threads and go back into the fabric above the laid threads:  


this will form a small Straight Stitch and couch the laid threads.  Make sure to pull this stitch tight!  It will help bunch the laid threads.  A tip that I discovered is to make the Straight Stitch small, almost bringing the needle out and putting the needle in under the laid threads at the bottom and top - this really helped with bunching the laid threads.


Just continue to couch by making Straight Stitches along the stitching line.  
I measured the distance between each of my couching stitches, to make sure I ended up with even spacing:



After the last Straight Stitch, I secured the couching thread on the underside.  
Then I carefully threaded a needle on the laid threads: 


and pulled them through the fabric.  I secured each one on the underside.



Here is a look at the underside.  Looks like a lot going on!


This is an easy stitch to do:


I am looking forward to using this on a project!


This stitch is from the book Embroidery Stitches by Mary Webb.

6 comments:

Darlene said...

This looks like an easy stitch with big impact.

Kim said...

:) That is what I thought Darlene!

Jeito Mineiro Bordados said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
These last days have been a lot of work and bustle here. My visits to your blog were quick and, for the most part, silent.
But I could not help writing to you wishing happy holidays, good health and happiness with his family.
Happy and holy Christmas to you and yours!
A warm hug!
Egléa

Kim said...

Hi Eglea - Thank you for your message! I am wishing you and you family a very Merry Christmas and happy new year :)

Ana Lopes said...

Hello Kim!
Wishing you a year full of creativity and fun projects!
Hugs and love from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Hello Ana!
Thank you so much! I am wishing you a happy and creative new year too :)